Constance to Lake Geneva, Switzerland
(CH) - Schwarzwald (D)
On a cheap Schönes Wochenend ticket (35 DM
for me, 6 DM for my recumbent bike) I took the
train from the German/Dutch border to the
Bodensee (Lake Constance), situated on the German/Swiss
border. From there I crossed Switzerland,
following the brand new extensive bicycle
network, beautifully sign posted. In the French
Alps I witnessed the Tour de France, but had no
luck: the riders were on strike. After visiting
the beautiful canyons of the Vercors, I climbed a
few famous passes like Galibier and Madeleine.
Back via Switzerland and the German Black Forest.
There I ended my trip and took the train back
home in Offenburg.
- Total distance cycled: 2400 km
- Average per day: 92 km (excl. rest days)
- Average speed: 18 km/u
- Maximum speed: 77 km/u
- Longest stage: 176 km
- Highest elevation: Col du Galibier, 2646
- Touristische Velokarte Schweiz, Kümmerly
+ Frey, scale 1:301.000. Overview of the
national bikeroutes. Indicated are
campgrounds, difficulty of climbs, amount
- Rhône-Alpes (F), Michelin, 1:200.000
- Schwarzwald und Bodensee (D), Die General
Karte no.21+24, 1:200.000.